Changes to the Beer Houses and Pubs in the village
There were beer houses in most villages. Here one could have been at Sycamore Cottage. Under the carpet there is a trap door to a large cellar! In 1861 there was an Inn called David and Harp. No longer there, but is now Beech House at the top of Blyford Lane.
The Compasses had a mention in 1619. In 1745 it was called ‘The Anchor’ and owned by John Wakeman, who leased it to James Canham, a carpenter, and he changed the name to ‘Carpenters Arms’. In 1839 it was still known by that name, but by 1844 it was ‘The Compasses’, perhaps due to the pub sign.
During the building of the House of Industry at Bulcamp, the Governors held their committee meetings at The Compasses. Good thinking! In 2001 it was no longer a pub but a restaurant and bed and breakfast and in July 2003 it was called Green Blade and became a Christian Retreat.
The Star was built probably late 18th century and is now the only pub in the village. In 1644 Thomas Ambler, the priest of Wenhaston and William Raymond, priest of Blyford were accused among other charges, of frequenting the alehouse of Edmund Browne of Halesworth. This was the White Hart. Both priests were ejected from their churches.
The Queens Head at Blyford was shown on a map dated 1610. Known as ‘Smugglers’ Inn, it had its usual ghost story to keep enquiring minds at bay. In July 1988 the thatched roof was destroyed by fire, but quickly repaired.